This privacy notice lets you know what happens to any personal data that you give to us, or any that we may collect from or about you. It applies to all services, and instances where we collect your personal data.
This privacy notice applies to personal information processed by or on behalf of Forest Row Film Society.
Changes to this privacy notice
We may change this privacy notice from time to time by updating this page in order to reflect changes in the law and/or our privacy practices.
Forest Row Film Society and our Data Protection Officer
We’re the Forest Row Film Society. We are a society run for the benefits of its members and the local community. We are a data controller of your personal data.
We have a dedicated data protection officer (“DPO”). You can contact the DPO using the details or address on the Contact Us page, marking it for the attention of the DPO.
2. What kinds of personal information about you do we process?
Personal information that we’ll process in connection with all of our services, if relevant, includes:
- Personal and contact details, limited to name and email address and, for members, name and phone number.
- Records of your contact with us such as emails containing data that you provide.
- Marketing to you and analysing data, including history of those communications.
3. What is the source of your personal information?
We’ll collect personal information from the following general sources:
- When you sign up through our website.
- When you apply for annual membership.
- When you contact us by email.
4. What do we use your personal data for?
We use your personal data, including any of the personal data listed in section 2 above, for the following purposes:
- Sending emails to make you aware of Film Society screening and events, or other film-related events and news that we think you may be interested in.
- If there is a specific need to contact you, e.g. because we have found some lost property that belongs to you, or we need to cancel a screening at short notice.
- To respond to any inquiries we receive from you.
- Managing how we communicate with you about the Society’s activities
- To comply with Government regulations or statutory requirements.
5. What are the legal grounds for our processing of your personal information (including when we share it with others)?
We rely on the following legal bases to use your personal data:
- With your consent or explicit consent:
- For some direct marketing communications
6. When do we share your personal information with other organisations?
We may share information with the following third parties for the purposes listed above:
- We record email addresses on the MailChimp system to be able to send you emails about news and events.
- We do not share your personal details with anyone else.
7. How and when can you withdraw your consent?
Where we’re relying upon your consent to process personal data, you can withdraw this at any time by contacting us using the details below.
8. Is your personal information transferred outside the UK or the EEA?
We’re based in the UK but sometimes your personal information may be transferred outside the European Economic Area when it is stored or transferred by MailChimp. MailChimp is a highly reputable system that has taken the necessary steps to ensure compliance with legislation to ensure your data is protected.
9. What should you do if your personal information changes?
You should tell us so that we can update our records using the details in the Contact Us section of our website. We’ll then update your records if we can.
10. Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
We’re unable to keep you in touch with Film Society, news and events if you do not provide certain information to us.
11. Do we do any monitoring involving processing of your personal information?
In this section monitoring means any: listening to, recording of, viewing of, intercepting of, or taking and keeping records (as the case may be) of calls, email, text messages, social media messages, in person (face to face) meetings and other communications.
We only monitor the number of emails that are opened in response to campaigns issued through MailChimp.
12. For how long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we’ll hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we believe you want to continue to receive information on news and events; and
- Retention periods in line with legal and regulatory requirements or guidance.
13. What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don’t apply in all circumstances. If you wish to use any of them, we’ll explain at that time if they are engaged or not. The right of data portability is only relevant from May 2018.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
14. Your right to object
You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests. You can contact us by going to the Contact Us section of our website to exercise these rights.
15. What are your marketing preferences and what do they mean?
We may use your phone numbers and email address to contact you according to your marketing preferences. You can stop our marketing at any time by contacting us using the details below or by following the instructions in the communication.